Saturday, November 27, 2010

I re-watched EASY RIDER last night, and I have to say it was so much better the 2nd time. Aside from some of the corny classic rock tunes, it's a really beautiful movie with some really long panoramic shots, and some really great acting by Hopper, Fonda, a bunch of random hippies & hillbillies they found along the way, and of course, Nicholson. I remember feeling like this movie wasn't so great the first time I saw it, maybe it seemed too kitschy or something. A lot of the transitional flashing edits were really nice, and most of the script was actually just made up (not that hard to believe). I think the 2nd viewing was better because I was prepared for a sad story, & not some fun-loving-stoner movie. This movie is not fun-loving. It was surprising to hear Captain America quoting Voltaire "if God didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him," and to also see the film touch on individual freedoms in the U. S. of A. and how most people (hicks) are so scared to really be free, and when they see an individual who is free they want to KILL! KILL! KILL!

"I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace." - George Hanson (J. Nicholson)

Phil Spector has a cameo in the beginning as "Connection" the coke buyer, I noticed that right away. What a funny looking guy. You can just see the "wall of sound" in his eyes. ha.

My little brother Travis loves this scene of Jack saluting D. H. Lawrence w/ his first shot of the day. "INDIANS!"


The psychedelic scene in the graveyard is also really interesting. Apparently the film was accidentally exposed, giving it the trippy colors and whatnot. Fonda & Hopper got in a lot of trouble for shooting in that cemetery because they didn't ask permission, which makes me really appreciate the approach to directing Dennis Hopper took. If you haven't seen this in a while, or never seen it all all... I recommend that you do.

No comments: