Monday, February 01, 2010

A while back I read about the Jail Bait LP by Andre Williams in the Incredibly Strange Music Vol. 1 book that Calvin lent me. You know that instant when you're reading the description of something that sounds immediately appealing to you and you know you've unearthed some sort of gem that will find a special place in your heart? Well, I do. I ended up hearing "Pass the Biscuts Please", "Pullin' Time", and "The Greasy Chicken" (the only songs featured in the entire 13 volumes) in the compliations that WFMU put out as the Lux & Ivy favorites. WHOA! I remember thinking "damn, this is the slowest most rockin' roll I've ever heard!" when I first heard "Pullin' Time".

About 2 weeks ago Calvin "Death" Johnson lent me his copies of the Jail Bait LP, some weird Jon Spencer Blues Explosion + Andre Williams collaboration 12" e.p., a Norton album that was recorded in the '90's of the songs from the 50's (which I didn't really dig), and a handful of 45's! There were all these weird rhythms, really sincere yet truly raw sounding vocal ballads, and this trebly guitar that floats in the back ground and lingers in the forefront of your mind. I ended up making a tape and finally giving Calvin his stuff back, and I figured I'd never get my hands on any of that vinyl. Rainy Day had ordered stuff for me back in December '09, but it wasn't what I was looking for... until today! Adam calls me up at the office saying they got 4 volumes of these weird bootlegs that were exactly what I was looking for! YES! Life is getting more and more complete with every record I have to listen to.



I think it's probably important to point out that the guy ended up producing hit records all over the USA from the 60's - 70's and in the 80's he was totally down and out, living on the streets. Apparently he is still touring (I think he played SXSW last year? maybe 2008?) and he has a book coming out... kind of a detective pulp fiction looking book. The guy is pretty old now and he is super raunchy... but whatever. I love his music from the 50's and his narratable style of singing has given him the title of Father of Rap! That's pretty debatable, but in some of his songs you can definitely hear the early roots of rap.

No comments: